Cities have been recognized as playing a key role in building sustainable food systems. Now more urgently than ever, the challenges of rapid urbanisation, climate change and inequalities require transformative and comprehensive approaches to ensure long-term wellbeing for people, places and planet. In this evolving environment, policy makers and city governments need practical guidance to identify, implement, and monitor sustainable urban food policy processes.
The new Milan Urban Food Policy Pact (MUFPP) Monitoring Framework Handbook and Resource Pack, developed by RUAF and FAO and launched with MUFPP Secretariat, offers a set of tools and resources that help any city in the world to develop a way of measuring progress of their own priorities against clear baselines. It provides practical steps, simple tools, top tips and resources. The purpose of the monitoring framework is to make it easier for cities to both identify priorities and keep track of and report on yearly achievements.
The Handbook is based on the results and lessons learned from three pilot cities – Antananarivo (Madagascar), Nairobi (Kenya) and Quito (Ecuador) – which implemented the MUFPP Monitoring Framework over a seven month project in 2019, with technical support from RUAF and FAO.
‘Designed for cities by cities’, this resource will help to deepen understanding of the recommended actions of the MUFPP and increase stakeholder engagement and awareness. The more cities not only implement, but also measure, the impacts of their urban food policies, the greater will be our collective learning of how to successfully and positively transform urban food systems.
- The Handbook and Resource Pack can be downloaded at: http://www.fao.org/documents/card/en/c/cb4181en/
- PDF version: http://www.fao.org/3/cb4181en/cb4181en.pdf
- 2-page flyer: https://ruaf.org/assets/2021/07/2pp-flyer_MUFPP-Handbook-and-Resource-pack_Final.pdf
- RUAF website (section news): https://ruaf.org/news/new-publication-the-milan-urban-food-policy-pact-monitoring-framework-handbook-and-resource-pack/
- MUFPP website (section resources): www.milanurbanfoodpolicypact.org/resources/the-milan-urban-food-policy-pact-monitoring-framework-handbook-and-resource-pack/
- MUFPP website (section news): https://www.milanurbanfoodpolicypact.org/the-milan-urban-food-policy-pact-monitoring-framework-handbook-and-resource-pack/