The methodology guideline on calculating climate change related indicators of urban/regional food production and consumption provided is an adaptation of the well-known Life Cycle Analysis (LCA).
The manual will describe, how to:
- Make a basic inventory for scenario development, including:
- Definition of the (peri)-urban area/region
- Food consumption and distribution, current situation
- Food production, current situation and potential
- (Organic) waste management, current situation (optional)
- Compare (peri-) urban food demand with the (peri)-urban production capacity
- Design urban/regional food system scenarios
- Calculate chosen climate change indicators.
Other methodological guidelines in the series Monitoring impacts of urban and peri-urban agriculture and forestry on climate change mitigation and adaptation are:
Guideline 1: Monitoring of runoff and infiltration of storm water
Guideline 2: Monitoring of temperature effects