Urban agriculture and food systems are fast gaining the attention of planners and policy makers across the global south and north. A number of cities and regions are developing and implementing food systems plans and policies. While this emerging planning and policy attention is laudable, it must build on decades of community-led efforts to rebuild urban agriculture and community food systems. Failure to build on these on-the ground practices run the risk of developing policy that is uninformed and disconnected from the lived experiences of people in communities.
This Urban Agriculture Magazine explores the issue of community engagement in (urban) food policy and planning through case studies across the globe. A total of 17 articles explore the formal and informal role of community in urban food policy and planning, innovative planning practices and participatory policy development.
Also available in Portuguese.
- Opinion – The Strength of Local Communities of Stakeholders
- Editorial – Community Involvement in Urban Planning and Policy Development to Strengthen City Region Food Systems
- Some Challenges to Integrating Food into Urban Planning: Lessons from the field
- Local Actors Building Urban Food Strategies in West Africa and South America
- Making Public Markets Work: Street food vendor relocation in two Indonesian cities
- Community-Led Urban Agriculture Policy Making: A view from the United States
- Homegrown Baltimore: Cultivating employee wellness through CSA support
- The Rise of Guerrilla Gardening: Unearthing the underground urban agricultural movement
- Multi-stakeholder Policy Influencing and Local Urban Food Initiatives
- Experiences from Stakeholder Dialogues in Tamale, Northern Ghana
- Advances in Urban Agriculture Policy in East Africa: Learning through comparison
- Linking Urban Farming and Urban Planning in Times of Crisis
- In Pursuit of a Participatory Society: The role of the participatory agent
- From Open Data to Open Space: Translating public information into collective action
- Pivotal Position for Large-Scale Urban Agriculture in Bottom-Up Development in Almere
- Social Currencies and Community-Based Food Initiatives in Asturias, Spain
- Shopping for Daily Vegetables in Urban Vietnam