This publication documents 13 case studies from city regions around the world which are developing food system projects, programmes, and policies. Case studies are also related to the prevention, reduction and management of food waste.
Furthermore, the report provides lessons learned from the case studies for the sustainable development of city region food systems. It offers a large number of strategies and tools that can be applied by city regions around the world.
- promotion of (peri)urban agriculture
- preservation of agricultural land areas and watersheds through land use planning and zoning
- development of food distribution and social protection programmes for vulnerable groups
- support for short supply chains and local procurement of food
- promotion of food waste prevention, reduction and management
- recovery and redistribution of safe and nutritious food for human consumption.